If your child has or could need transport assistance getting to and from school then you may wish to respond to this consultation.
The London Borough of Bromley is reviewing the way in which it assesses and meets the need for transport assistance for pupils with Special Educational Needs (SEN) in the Borough.
They have issued a consultation document (download in Word format) that summarises the reasons for the review and the main proposals.
The main proposals are:
- To use the Department for Education’s Best Practice guidelines distance criteria consistently for transport assistance to Specialist provision:
- 2 miles from school for children aged less than 8 years;
- 3 miles for pupils aged 8 and over.
- Applications for transport assistance to depend on the special educational needs of the child.
- Where appropriate, independent travel training will be offered as part of the transport assistance offer.
- The transport assistance may include collection and return to designated points ranging from home and local pick‑up points.
- To review the use of escorts dependent on the special educational needs of the child.
This is a link to the paper which outlines the consultation proposal in more detail and will be discussed at the Children and Young People Policy Development and Scrutiny Committee Council.
The closing date for comments is the 25th March 2011. Decisions about the proposed changes will be made by the Council’s Executive in the summer of 2011 with the new policy to be effective from September 2011.
For further enquiries about the consultation you can contact Mary Çava, Head of Special Educational Needs and Disability. Tel: 020 8461 7633
Email: email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org
There are a number of public consultation meetings being held between 1st and 10th March 2011 – the dates and a feedback form for you to submit your views are in this document which will download in Word format.
I would appreciate it if any responses sent from our members are copied to Bromley Mencap for our information and to help inform our own response.
[contact-form to=”email@example.com” subject=”SEN Transport Consultation” show_subject=”yes”]